Sunday, October 19, 2008

Chicago

Last week we went to Chicago so I could take the clinical skills portion of my boards. As far as the test goes, all I can say is someone is making a bundle of money off of all the medical students and foreign medical grads in the country. I think the test went fine.
We originally planned to go a few days early and stay with one of Candace's cousins so we could get the real Chicago experience. Neither Candace nor I had ever been to Chicago, and Jack was very excited to go to "the Big City."
But a few days before we were to leave, my eyes started feeling a little itchy, and they looked awful. I seriously looked like I had been awake for a week doing nothing but smoking weed. I've been told to not get in a habit of diagnosing myself, so I went to the opthalmologist who confirmed what I suspected. I had viral conjunctivitis - cursed Adenovirus!!! The good news was that my eyes didn't bother me too much. The bad news is that I was very contagious. In fact, the opthalmologist restricted me from having any patient contact until after my test. I didn't protest. Unfortunately, it also meant we wouldn't be able to stay with Candace's cousin and his family. We figured giving them all red eyes would not be a great way to thank them for their hospitality.
To make a short story long, we left for Chicago the day before my test and got there with enough time to go downtown a see a few things. Jack was absolutely thrilled to take the train into the city from our hotel. We went to Memorial Park and walked around a little and took in the skyline. We didn't have a whole lot of time, but we enjoyed the time we had.

We knew that we had to have deep-dish pizza for dinner, and we went to Giordano's for that. I have to say I was a little nervous that I would be disappointed. Everyone says how incredible deep-dish pizza is, and well...THEY'RE RIGHT! Absolutely unbelievable! My mouth waters just thinking about it.

The next day I took my test, and Candace decided to venture out on her own with Jack and Macie. I had tried telling her that no one would think any less of her if she just hung out around our hotel until I got finished. Anyone who's tried to talk Candace out of something when she's already made up her mind can likely guess how that conversation went. She was determined to make the most of this Chicago visit, and I can't really blame her for that since it was my fault we had to cut it short. Anyway, they rode the train for about an hour back into town, had some difficulty with the stroller at their stop, which didn't have an elevator, and headed for the Lincoln Park Zoo. They weren't able to stay for very long before they had to make the journey back to meet me so we could get on our way back home. Jack and Macie were very pleasant and just seemed to enjoy being out and seeing some new things. I know it was not easy for Candace, but I have to hand it to her - she's a lot tougher than I am. Macie was exhausted when they all finally met up with me, and I was just glad they all made it back safe. I'm kind of a worrier like that (thanks, Mom).
Unfortunately, that's all we had time for because I had to get back for work the next morning. There are probably at least a hundred things we didn't do in Chicago. So we decided we have to go back someday and spend some more time - and get more pizza! Hopefully I won't spoil that trip with some infectious disease.

6 comments:

brittani c. said...

Oh, I feel so bad for your eye infection, Ryan. I have had a few of those in my day. Glad you all had a great time in Chicago...I can't wait to go back to visit because I love it so much. You guys should try Pizza Papali's in Detroit. Their deep dish Chicago-style pizza, I might say, rivals all the ones in Chicago.

Emilee said...

Darn pinkeye. Sorry, Ryan. And Candace, you are one tough cookie. Braving Chicago alone is not for the faint of heart.

Kim said...

Hey guys,
I am sorry that Ryan did not feel so well with his eyes. I sure hope that It does not go through the family. I love the Big City. It is one of my favorites. You need to go back when you can shop. You would love it. Can't wait to see you guys. Love ya

Travis and Courtney said...

What an adventure! Ryan, I really am sorry about your eyes, because that looked totally painful, but when Trav and I saw that picture, we just laughed. haha those were some red eyes! haha figures you had to get red eyes right before your vacation, huh? Well hopefully you're getting better and will be all good and ready to come to Utah! We are so excited to see you guys and hang out together! We will very much enjoy that! =) Thanks for the fun story. Glad you guys had fun on your short trip and got home safely. Oh! And the pizza.....It's AMAZING!! My dad is obsessed! Whenever we are in a city that is even semi close to Giordano's....My dad will travel as far as he has to, to get some of that pizza. But, I'm glad, because it's so good! Trav hasn't been introduced to it yet..but I'm sure he will sometime soon! Anyways, we'll see you guys soon! Love ya!!

Amy said...

Looks like you guys had so much FUN and Ryan's eyes are CRAZY!!!!! I can't believe that they are that red, WOWZERS!!! Love all your pics.

Julie said...

Wow, I could have done without actually seeing a pic of those freaky eyes. Too bad it didn't happen in time for Halloween!

I'm glad you were able to make it into Chicago at least for a little bit. I love that city. Maybe we'll have to go back with you!