Our not-so-little Macie turned 4 months old on Saturday. She has made it clear that she will no longer tolerate diapers with a number 2 on them. Yes, we have graduated to size 3 diapers in almost half the time it took Jack to get that far. We've tried to explain to Jack not to feel bad but also not to make rude comments about Macie's body habitus - not even "big boned." It has been a lot of fun lately with Macie getting more responsive to her surroundings. She is very smiley and talkative which also makes it fun.
In other news, we had our first "Jack got lost" experience. We hope it's our last, but we're not dumb enough to believe it. We were at Meijer and I was in charge of watching Jack while Candace and Macie did most of the grocery shopping. Well, after several attempts to outrun me down numerous aisles, Jack finally succeeded while Candace was checking out. When I arrived at the end of the aisle, Jack had disappeared. I kept my cool and figured he couldn't be far. After looking around the clothes racks, I decided to check some of Jack's favorite spots in the store. No Jack watching the fishies. No Jack opening and closing the refrigerator doors. No Jack by the Thomas books. I was now beginning to get concerned. But being the guy that I am, I was unwilling to accept defeat. Candace quickly humbled me and somewhat politely told me it was time to ask for help. So with my tail between my legs, I informed one of the employees that I had lost my son - good one Ry! I was impressed by their response, and it was encouragingly clear that people must lose their kids at Meijer all the time. A coded message was heard overhead which informed the employees to monitor the doors for a child with my description. Then other employees started combing the store looking for Jack. I went to see if Jack was "sampling" the cookies from the bulk section but was paged overhead before I got there. The employee handed Jack to me and explained how she found him hiding in one of the clothing racks. Without asking, I assumed he must have been in the women's underwear section -I had neglected searching there because I figured no one would believe me if they saw me looking at lingerie and I said I was looking for my 3-year-old. Then I caught a whiff of Jack' pants, and I realized why he was "hiding." That feeling of anger, frustration, and relief all mixed together is something only parents can understand. We're hoping that once Jack finishes his potty training, we won't have to worry about this event repeating itself. We learned some things we need to start emphasizing with Jack, and I learned I need to get back in shape so that Jack will no longer be able to outrun his old man.
Still Buddies


6 comments:
don't feel bad ryan, i don't know many people that can keep up with a 3 yr old little boy!
I'm pretty sure this will NEVER happen to me & Erik. Tsk Tsk.
I'm sorry that you got the double whammy of losing your child, only to find that he has had a potty training setback. After watching a very energetic Jack during church, you guys have our deepest sympathies!
(at least he's cute)
Oh I can sympathize with you guys, it's the worst feeling ever when you've lost one of the kiddos. Yes we have actually lost Taylor twice, once in Walmart and once at Disneyland. Yes I said Disneyland, it was horrifying, the thought of my sweet child out there with a million and one people. But thank goodness we found him actually pretty close by. Sorry that happened, but glad he's ok.
I hate that feeling of panic. Unfortunately most of the time it's more traumatic for you than it is for the kids! Macie is so big. I love those rolls!! I miss having a chubby baby!
I was relieved at the end of your post to see that you and Jack are still buddies!
You know that we had an almost exact experience with Tyler at Meijer. I do have to say they do a great job of helping find kids. Glad he was safe-oh, and sorry about the poop thing. Ty also had the same issue...what is it with these boy cousins?
BTW-Macie is too cute and I can't wait to give her a big squeeze and maybe a little pinch!
Macie is so adorable! Funny how "fat" babies are so cute; but "fat" grammies are not! Loved the "Lost" story. Ryan, you are just getting it back-at-you for all the times YOU hid in clothes racks! There is nothing like the relief felt in seeing your lost child. SO excited to be seeing all of you soon!
Post a Comment